Founded in 2014 by two past presidents of the Asian American Bar Association of New York (AABANY), the Don H. Liu Scholars Program, Inc. seeks to identify, cultivate and inspire future Asian American leaders within the legal profession in order to address the single most important reality facing Asian American professionals today – the barrier to advancement. Asian Americans remain grossly underrepresented in positions of influence, leadership and power within the legal profession. The number of Asian American partners in law firms and general counsel in our largest corporations do not reflect the diversity found in today’s law schools or the ranks of junior associates at law firms. It is the mission of the Program to increase these numbers. In 2018, the Selection Committee will choose up to three 1Ls who possess the greatest potential to both excel in the classroom and succeed at a top law firm or Fortune 500 corporation. The Program will also provide mentorship and assistance with career development, including identifying potential internships.
To be eligible, the applicant must meet the following criteria:
- be a U.S. citizen or permanent resident of Asian descent
- be enrolled full-time as a 1L in a law school in Connecticut, Delaware, Maryland, Massachusetts, New Jersey, New York, Pennsylvania or the District of Columbia and expected to graduate in 2020
- be eligible to participate in off campus interview programs at the end of the first year
- be among the first in his or her immediate family to pursue a graduate or professional degree
- demonstrate exceptional academic accomplishments and leadership
- demonstrate financial need
- intend to practice in the private sector in the New York City metropolitan area following graduation
To apply to the Program, applicants must submit a completed Scholarship Application along with all supporting documents as detailed in the instructions.
The deadline to submit the Scholarship Application is November 17, 2017.
Information about Process and Dates
- All applications are due November 17, 2017.
- All applications are considered the property of the Don H. Liu Scholars Program, Inc. and any materials submitted in support thereof will not be returned.
- All applicants who advance as finalists will be notified to submit additional materials and/or informed of dates for a possible interview no later than January 19, 2018.
- The 2018 Don H. Liu Scholars will be notified no later than February 19, 2018.
- No other notice will be provided to applicants unless deemed required by the Executive Committee.
Once a candidate has submitted a complete application by the due date, it will be reviewed first by the Program’s Executive Committee and/or others approved by members of the Program’s Selection Committee. The Executive Committee and/or other designated by the Selection Committee will select up to six finalists for review and/ or personal interview by the Selection Committee. The Selection Committee will have the final decision on selecting all Scholars. See detailed requirements, timeline and important dates in the application.
Each Scholar will receive:
- a scholarship which will be awarded in two disbursements: the first will be upon the successful completion of the Scholar’s 1L year and before the start of the summer internship; and the remainder will be during the Scholar’s 3L year, provided the Scholar is in good standing as demonstrated by his/ her official transcripts
- opportunities for summer employment and/or internship during the 1L summer
- an invitation to attend a dinner in the Scholar’s honor at the conclusion of the 1L summer
- mentoring, guidance and support by the Selection Committee and/or others throughout the Scholar’s law school and legal career