Eligibility: To be eligible, the applicant must meet the following criteria:
- Be a U.S. citizen or permanent resident of Asian descent;
- Be enrolled full-time as a 1L in a J.D. program at an ABA-accredited and approved law school in the U.S.;
- Demonstrate exceptional academic accomplishments and leadership;
- Demonstrate financial need; and
- Intend to practice in the private sector in the New York City metropolitan area following graduation.
To apply to the Program, applicants must submit a completed Scholarship Application along with all supporting documents as detailed in the instructions set forth below.
Deadline: The deadline to submit the Scholarship Application is 11:59pm (Eastern Standard Time), December 31, 2020.
Information about Process and Dates
- All Scholarship Applications are due 11:59pm (Eastern Standard Time), December 31, 2020.
- All Scholarship Applications are considered the property of Don H. Liu Scholars Program, Inc. and any materials submitted in support thereof will not be returned.
- All applicants who advance as finalists will be notified to submit additional materials and informed of dates for a phone interview by approximately mid-January 2021.
- The 2021 Don H. Liu Scholars will be notified by approximately mid-February 2021.
- The 2021 Don H. Liu Scholars are expected to attend the AABANY Annual Dinner which is expected to be held virtually in 2021. The date of the 2021 Annual Dinner has not yet been announced but it has been held on the last Wednesday in February in prior years.
- No other notice will be provided to applicants unless deemed required by the Selection Committee.
Scholarship Application Instructions
- Submit your completed Scholarship Application package to Don H. Liu Scholars Program, Inc. at firstname.lastname@example.org.
All submissions for the Preliminary Round must be received on or before 11:59pm (Eastern Standard Time), December 31, 2020 and only complete Scholarship Applications will be considered.
- Preliminary Round– required application materials:
- A completed Scholarship Application Form;
- One (1) essay addressing the topic below;
- Two (2) letters of recommendation;
- An official copy of applicant’s undergraduate transcript; and
- A signed Personal Certification Form.
- Essay Topic: The Don H. Liu Scholars Program seeks to identify and empower future Asian Pacific American (APA) leaders in the legal profession through a unique blend of financial support, legal internship and professional mentorship. Don H. Liu Scholars have a demonstrated financial need, have faced some type of adversity and are seeking mentorship and guidance in furthering their aspiring legal careers at a top law firm or Fortune 500 corporation. Using specific examples from your personal and professional life as well as academic, extracurricular and professional accomplishments, tell us how you have embodied the attributes of a Don H. Liu Scholar in overcoming adversity, especially in light of the COVID-19 pandemic, and how you would benefit from the Don H. Liu Scholars Program. (500-750 words)
- Final Round – The Selection Committee will select finalists based on materials submitted from the Preliminary Round. Finalists will then be notified to submit the following:
- A statement from applicant’s law school certifying enrollment as a full-time 1L in a J.D. program;
- A copy of applicant’s official financial aid package from his or her law school; and
- Two (2) years of applicant’s family’s most recent tax returns (even if applicant has declared to be financially independent), and a statement (no more than a paragraph) describing your financial need (with any supporting documents).